And They Will Know We Are Christians...

John 13:34-35 (NIV) " 34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

I read this article this morning: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/13/gay.friendly.school/index.html

It talks about opening separate public schools that are focused on acceptance of homosexuals who want an alternative to public schooling. This is in response to bullying and a general lack of acceptance they have found in their interaction with peers at their current schools.

To me, I think this is a sad thing that this bullying is an issue. Yes, the Bible says homosexuality is wrong. Check out the first chapter in Romans. However, as Christians, are we exercising love toward these people who really need it most or are we condemning homosexuals? We are not the Righteous Judge, and we are not enablers of the sin either. We are to marked and identified by our love. It's what Jesus did. It's what he commanded us to do.

Ask yourself: Am I identified by my love of people or my self-righteousness? Do I value the person or do I only see their sin?

Monday, October 13, 2008

2 Comments:

Chris Martin said...

Dude, I was just thinking about this principle the other day as I was reading through the book of John.

Your are so right on. this is totally a commandment, not just something nice Jesus said.

Be really, really, nice..

Cory said...

fantastic.